Monday, November 16, 2009

11.16.09 - testing out the canon 100-400 lens




Shot at the Jamestown Audubon with the Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6

I met my great Aunt Anita and Uncle Dave today at the Audubon before I went into work. I knew that my Uncle had recently purchased the 100-400L lens and I wanted to try it out because I am thinking about renting it when I go to Africa in January.

So here comes a bunch of photography talk... if you're not into gear talk just enjoy the pictures.

The first thing I noticed is that this lens is wicked heavy. Well three pounds isn't heavy, but it sure felt heavy when my heaviest lens is the 70-200F4 weighing in at half that, a whopping 1.6lbs.

The push pull instead of turn to zoom took a bit of getting used to but wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. I didn't feel like I was getting very much contrast out of the lens but I just realized that it's because it was a cloudy day.

The lens wasn't super quick at focusing at all which was frustrating but I don't know if thats because I was shooting in relatively low light, or it had a much longer distance to hunt, or because of the not so fast aperture or all of those things.

To get shutter speeds fast enough when using this lens zoomed out to 400mm I had to have my ISO set at 800. Instantly I wished I had a full frame camera like the 5d Mark II or even the regular 5d that can pull off high ISO shots. Anyway even at iso 800 I still sometimes was in danger of getting to slow a shutter speed for the focal length but didn't dare kick it up to 1600. I just relied on the IS and fired in continuos. Luckily I doubt cloudy will be an issue while in Africa.

With just an hour of using it my review is this. It is a fun lens to play with and will it be useful in Africa. But it's not a lens I would keep in my bag for daily use. It's much more of a speciality lens for wildlife. So with a price-tag of $1610.00 I will not be buying this lens ever probably, but will be renting it if the need arises, like a safari in Africa :)

JIM baker

5 comments:

  1. I love these pics, good test, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure what the fuzzy things are, but they look really cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flying Geese...think stock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are striking! Amazing eye, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ jeff - thanks man!

    @ lisa - haha yay for fuzzy thing, I take pics all the times of things I have no clue what they are and people are always asking... psh... sorry i forgot to stop and ask the flower its name... and no i'm not getting out a flower book haha

    @ gary - thanks! ::sigh:: i totally need to make the jump into stock don't I...

    @ chachi - thanks man!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...