Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Man Chair

A Photo from the grand opening of Charity's closet in Savage Mill, MD

Jess and I were on a walk the other day and stopped by a small boutique called LMS Boutique here in quaint Manoa, Hawaii.


I had seen this boutique the day before, and it reminded me of one of Jess' favorite shops called The White Picket Fence in Bemus, on Chautauqua Lake in NY.  So when I had to run an errand in that area we went in.  

We were greeted by two ladies who were very friendly, they introduced themselves by name.  Then they quickly told me that there was a chair in the back if I wanted to sit down and make myself comfortable.  I declined the offer, which was suggested again after a while of meandering through the store.  

As I walked out I appreciated the solid customer service, and the brillant idea to put a chair in the back of the store for men to sit at.  

Soon after that we were doing some more window shopping around North Shore.  Store after store had a sitting area for men.  I even sat in one that had a Clark Little photography book which kept me occupied while Jess looked through the store.  We also heard another store owner and a guy joking about how many men they have seen fall asleep in those chairs.  

If you provide a place where the men can sit and just chill out the women will be able to shop longer.  This area takes up space where other merchandise could be sold but the people that have made this small adjustment have obviously seen it worthwhile.  

Engage:  What small change can you make in your life, ministry or business that might look like a risk, but really is a well thought out way to do better at what you're trying to do?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...