Friday, December 6, 2013

Want To Improve Your Writing? Follow This One Step

In first grade I wrote a book.  It was bound by wall paper covered cardboard and was titled "The Boy Who Was Never Scared."  I got a lot of praise from it and that's when I decided I wanted to be an author. 


I still want to be an author, just not as a full time job.  One of my goals for 2014 is to write a book and publish it.  We'll see what happens.  

My friend Conrad Brasso just released his first book.  And it's amazing.  You should check it out.  It's a CIA thriller, and it's pretty hard to put down.  

I've noticed when I start getting on a role writing, things just fly out.  Sometimes they are  related to what I'm trying to say, however, mostly, it just detracts from the main point.  (Kind of like the three paragraphs above.)

If I'm in a groove, I write and just let it all out.  But then I got back and try to edit out things that detract from what I'm really trying to say.  The nice thing about that is those ideas then become other blog posts.  

The biggest improvement to my writing has been, catching the sentence or paragraph that is distracting and deleting it.  Even if it's the sentence I'm most proud because it's creative or catchy.  

Engage:  Do you enjoy writing?  How have you grown as a writer this year?  Let us know in the comments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...