Monday, March 19, 2012

My ridiculous comfort zone: Re-prioritizing and recalibrating


Waikiki | Iphone 3gs/Instagram | Taken Yesterday 


When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases,  and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.  He told them: “Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt.  Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town.  If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.”  So they set out and went from village to village, proclaiming the good news and healing people everywhere.   Luke 9:1-6 

Take nothing for the journey... 


What journey are the BAKERS on?  Read about it here.  
At least we got to take some stuff for this journey.  We obviously had to pare down what we brought since we flew here.    

Our school leader has apologized multiple times for our living situation.  Currently there are 3 families living under one SMALL roof.  We all share one bathroom.  At the end of the month the other two families with children will move out and another married couple without children will move in.  

It’s not ideal, but we didn’t come back into YWAM for the luxury housing.  We came out of obedience to what we felt God was asking us to do. We have seen and are learning to understand that whatever God calls us to do is always in our best interest.  

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength. - Philippians 4:11-13

I need to be like Paul, and be content whatever the circumstance.  I've noticed that being inconvenienced, not having my "normal luxuries," makes me a little uncomfortable.  We don't have a car here, and we don't have Jess' second income.  I get bit by mosquitos constantly and we share 1 bathroom with 8 OTHER people.  

I know this might sound ridiculous.  I’m sure there are people reading this right now that would gladly trade their car and second income to live in Hawaii.  And if that's you, I challenge you to step out and be obedient to whatever He is calling you to, because however good Hawaii sounds right now to you, it pales in comparison to the perfect plan God has for YOU.    

I am thankful for being forced out of my comfort zone.  It makes me reexamine what’s a need, and what’s a want?  It makes me realize that the majority of the world does not live with the luxury of things I think are normal everyday necessites.  It makes me realize how ridiculously comfortable my “comfort zone” really is.  

These tiny steps outside of my comfort zone help me to re-prioritize what's important in life.  Serving Jesus sometimes comes with a cost.  I want to be ready and willing to pay whatever cost, for the sake of Him who paid it all.  

I challenge you to intentionally step outside of your comfort zone for a bit.  I promise it will help recalibrate you in a good way.   

Engage:  When was the last time you stepped outside of your comfort zone?  What did you learn along the way?  Share with us in the comments!  

2 comments:

  1. 8 people and one bathroom doesn't sound too fun! Have you guys thought about getting a bus pass? It goes everywhere on the island!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we've been riding "the bus" a pass is $30 a month, which is $60 for two. We're not sure if its worth it yet or not, still waiting to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...