Wednesday, March 7, 2012

3 writing tips guaranteed to help people read what you’re writing.

Bad menu spelling | Taken May 2008 | sd870 

I’ve been sending out a monthly e-mail update since 2003.  Here are 3 things I’ve learned along the way... 


1.  KEEP IT SHORT - Shorter is better.  
When I first started, I used to send out lengthy, multiple paragraph e-mails.  Now I send out an e-mail with a few large photos and a couple of sentences of text.  

If my blog post is getting to long, I break it up into multiple posts.

2.  DIRECT THE VIEWERS EYE - This is actually something that I learned in photography, but it completely applies here too.
It’s your responsibility to show the reader what is IMPORTANT.  Accent the main ideas.

You can do this by USING CAPS, bolding, italicizing, underlining and using a larger font size.  

3.  USE PHOTOS - They say a photo is worth a thousand words.  
I don’t know if thats true or not, but having a photo or two will hopefully help capture your readers attention enough that they will stick around and read what you have to say. 


Your reader will probably: 
- Look at the photo first.  
- Read whatever you have directed them to (step #2!) 
- Then if they are still interested read the surrounding words.  

Engage: Do you have any other tips on making your writing more readable?  Tell us in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...