Friday, February 24, 2012

Easy changes to upgrade your blog! | NEW BLOG LAYOUT!

We were in Ohio last weekend and on the drive back I listened to Michael Hyatt's podcast entitled "10 Ways to Generate More Blog Traffic."  And it INSPIRED ME!

Following some of his tips from his podcast I've redone the layout of the blog.  

RIGHT COLUMN
I've added a right column to the layout which I did not have before.  
In the right column I have added...
- a search bar
- two ways to subscribe
- I moved our twitter updates to the right column from the bottom 
- And added popular posts (does anyone know how i can make those thumbnails not distorted?) 

COMMENTS 
I've switched the comments to using DISQUS.  Which Michael Hyatt recommended.  
Commenting using bloggers native commenting was a pain in the butt.  I like DISQUS better already, and it easily imported all of my old comments from blogger.  

I added LINK WITHIN at the bottom of every post.  This along with the POPULAR POSTS widget on the right column should keep people exploring the blog more than usual.  

I added an ADD THIS widget which will allow people to share each post easier.  

I made the blog home page display 5 posts instead of just 1 like before.  And I added a new header image and made the background match the header image.  

I'm sure there will be some more changes coming as well.  But thats enough for today.  

Leave a COMMENT for me to test out DISQUS and let me know what you think of the changes!  Are you happy with your current blog layout?  What changes would you like to make to yours?  What blogs have you seen that have the best navigable layout?  

jim baker


2 comments:

  1. thanks Nina!  your blog looks good too, i just commented on your blog with a link to a friends blog that you might like checking out!  let me know if you implement any of the above tips! - jim baker 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim! Your blog looks snazzy!  Good job.  I'm always looking for ways to spice up my blog. I decided to have a pregnancy journal, but after Little Guy was born, I decided to keep it.  Check it out sometime. Thanks for the tips!

    Blessings!!
    http://ninathemom.blogspot.com/ 

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...