Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Where Does Motivation Come From?

I've got a question for you, and I want you to answer it if you know.  

"Where does motivation come from?"  

My biggest struggle in life has always been I KNOW what I need to do, I just don't WANT to do it.  Actually, I'm not even sure if that's true, because I do WANT to do some of the things I need to do, I just don't want to enough to push through whatever I'm sensing is hard.  

Things are much easier when you have the momentum of motivation.  It requires real discipline (which isn't fun, and doesn't come easy to me) to do the things that you don't want to do.  

I have seasons of being super motivated, where I'm disciplined, and then I swing the exact opposite extreme.  Where I lack all motivation and therefore lack discipline.  

I realize that self discipline is pushing through and being consistent when there is no motivation.  So how do you achieve that?  

Engage:  What do you value, but struggle to stay consistent and disciplined in?  What are some of your secrets to pushing through? 

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about this the other day when I had a huge productive spurt. I don't really have productive "seasons" as much as "moments" or "days" but in the moment I was trying to dissect what was keeping me going. There was some sense of urgency from an outside source, and I was excited that what I was doing was going to have an immediate impact on other people. That's as far as I got though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great thoughts Kerry, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...