Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Profile Of 2 Dads

From our recent family photo shoot.  See the rest of the photos HERE.  | Bellows Beach | 5dm2

Sunday night Jess and I went on a date and during our time we observed two dads... 



While we were walking, a father and son crossed in front of us.  The father was carrying his son on his shoulders, and carrying the child's bike under his arms.  The child was busy laughing and patting his dad on the head.  I commented to Jess, isn't that the quintessential dad.  The son wanted to ride his bike but got to tired, so the dad carried both the boy and the bike the rest of the way home.  It made me think of my dad, and how many times I'm sure he was more than willing to carry me, and my stuff because I was tired.  More than I know I'm sure.  It made me think of my heavenly father, who when we're weary, picks us and our stuff that we insist on carrying, and carries us.  

When we got to where we were eating dinner we were waiting on our food.  There was a man there with his teenage daughter, they were also waiting for their food.  She had an smart phone of some kind and the dad gruffly said let me see that thing.  The daughter replied, "why do you want one?" with a smile on her face.  The conversation progressed and the dad pretty harshly said "why do you need internet on your phone, the only time you're going to use it on the bus, if you want it you can pay the $25 a month."  The daughter's body language for the rest of the night changed and she turned in her seat away from her dad.  It didn't seem to be manipulative pouty body language, it seemed more hurt that her dad wouldn't have a conversation with her.   

It was such an interesting contrast in the matter of minutes for me to see two very different interactions with dads and children.  I don't have the complete context of either of those situations, and I'm not a dad so I don't even claim to know what its like.  

I'm thankful for a dad that carried me when I was tired, and carried all the crap I insisted on bringing along.  I'm thankful that my dad was not harsh when I asked for something.  We always talked things through.  I'm grateful for parents who considered it a joy to give me good things.  (My parents bought me a drum set in the 7th grade.  And for years listened to me play that thing, sometimes in bands with large amps)  

I'm thankful for a heavenly father, that gives good gifts.  That we can approach with boldness.  

“So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?  If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
-  Luke 11:9-13 

Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. 
- Hebrews 4:16


Engage:  Do you have a hard time asking God for things?  What was your dad's response when you would ask for things?  Let us know in the comments.  

1 comment:

  1. I am honored to have been classified with the first dad in your experience, son.  I think you did the right thing in not being willing to read into the second dad's scene when you really don't know their background.   Made me think of one time I carried you up the hill from the football field at SW school and told you that was the last time I was doing that as you were getting too big.  ( And then there was my role as roadie for the  drummer).  Great reminder of our forgetfulness about our Father's willingness to provide for us.
    Finally, here's young Jim the drummer.
    DAD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...