Friday, January 25, 2013

Friends Friday! - Guest Post From Anneli Johnson




I'm starting something new this year called "Friends Friday"  Some Friday's I will have friends guest post.  If you're interested in guest posting for us let me know!  

Today's guest post is from our friend Anneli who is serving long term at an orphanage in China.  


“Truly I tell you, whatever you did for the least of these, you did for me.” (Matthew 25:40)

What did Jesus mean by this verse? And how does it apply to my life and your life? I was 16 years old when I felt the Lord place a desire on my heart to care for the orphans. My family had just adopted a little girl from China and I felt the “burden for China’s orphans” on my heart.  But what can you do when you 16 years old, still in high school, living under your parents roof? You put it off. Well…. at least that’s what I did. When I thought about missionaries, I had this false image of them. I felt that they were specifically chosen by God to “go.” I also believed that they were almost “super Christian” in a way. Had strong Biblical knowledge, had it all together, and never once doubted God. Wow, was I wrong! As the years went on and I kept giving God excuse after excuse as to why I couldn’t go, the Lord broke down those false images. I have learned that I had it completely backwards. 

God doesn’t use the strong. He uses the weak. He uses those of us who DON’T have it all together. He uses those that are a “work in progress.” But who are willing to be the clay and allow God to mold us and use us.

“My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

I will be the first to tell you that I am not “qualified” to do what I do. I have spent the last 8 months of my life living and serving in a foster home for special needs orphans in southern China. How did I end up here? I ran out of excuses. I realized that if I was going to be the woman God was calling me to be, then I had to start listening to Him and obeying. And I knew without a doubt that He was calling me to China to be His hands and feet to the least of these.

Is everyone called to sell their car, quite their job, and move to the other side of the world? Probably not. But we are ALL called to do something. Whether it’s move to the other side of the world or love on the least of these in your own hometown. It may be caring for orphans in a third world country or taking someone out for coffee who may be lonely and in need of a friend.

I am not superhuman or superchristian. I’m just a 26 year old girl willing to allow my Heavenly Father use me. It is not easy. Actually this time of the year it is extremely difficult being away from my family and friends for the holidays. I don’t know what my future holds, but I’m willing to allow Him to mold me and use me in how He sees fit.

What is God calling you to do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...